09 February 2011

Fab Grad

I’ve been lucky enough to meet many interesting people in industry and academia. The idea to do brief interviews with these people was part of my motivation for this blog. I’m hoping to make it a recurring post and to include different people ranging from grad students to professors and people in industry…. My fellow graduate students were gracious enough to allow me to begin with them….Thanks guys!

Meet Sunetra…
Where are you from?
Born in Calcutta and raised in Bombay, India

What is your educational background?
I received my bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy, my master’s in Neuropharmacology and am currently studying for my PhD in Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology

What areas or scientific research are you most interested in?
Pharmacology and Oncology

Pharmacology seems to be a recurring trend with you; do you have any nonscientific interests?
Sports (all except Indy Car Racing), Fashion

Sports? Interesting…Do you play any sports? Or have any hobbies?
I recently took up running and I love it but I also love to read, shop, travel and hang out with friends.

You seem to have a pretty balanced lifestyle especially for a graduate student, are you involved in any activities beyond research? 
I’m a part of a program called the Incentive Mentoring program which gives me the opportunity to work with local high school kids at risk of failing/dropping out. Having mentors who have been through high school and college often gives them the added support and encouragement they need and I feel it provides them with a higher chance of academic success.

And as far as travelling goes, if you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
That’s a tough one; I would love to visit all of South America

Purely for the scenery I’m sure! *She’s a big Kaka fan*
So if you weren’t training to be a scientist, what other career paths would you have considered?
I would consider doing an MD – PhD training program instead or maybe advertising

As a seasoned graduate student (3 years in)…what are some things you wished you’d known before you started?
Definitely that graduate school is not just about long hours at the bench. You can have a life while in grad school.

Do you have any and advice for future graduate students?
Science doesn’t happen in one day. You have to keep at it so be patient, don’t stay with a project that doesn’t inspire you but always give it [research] your best shot.

And finally, finish this sentence …
“In 5 years I hope to be….at a high executive position in a pharmaceutical company managing people working towards drug development”

    

No comments:

Post a Comment